Call for Submissions: Satellite Exhibitions 2022
Satellite Exhibitions was conceived in 2018 with a desire to utilise everyday spaces to create photographic encounters. In exploring alternative forms of exhibition, the idea is to open up creative possibilities in a land-scarce Hong Kong and engage with a wider audience.
We are now calling for exhibition proposals from local image makers to take part in the fourth edition of Satellite Exhibitions.
Please read the following project outline carefully before submitting your application:
In the upcoming Satellite Exhibitions, participating image makers will each be assigned space(s) based on the nature of their work and proposal, with which they will develop an exhibition over the course of 6 months. The spaces will mainly consist of public venues and may range from streets, building exteriors and parks, to shop- or warehouse-units and retail stores. Please understand that the venue matching can be a long negotiation process with the related stakeholders. While the matching will be done based on the image maker’s project nature, technical requirements and development process, the image makers should adopt an open, flexible and adaptive mindset.
What to Expect
Participating image makers will be provided with technical advice, promotional support and a production subsidy, as well as continuous learning opportunities and guidance from established practitioners in developing their work and exploring ways of utilising different spaces.
The project is an opportunity for image makers to explore alternative forms of exhibition, while contextualising and nourishing their image-making practice through critical discussions and cross disciplinary exchanges. Image makers should proactively participate in conversations including but not limited to group critique sessions and production team meetings, and utilise available resources including artistic and technical support from the group of advisors.
We welcome proposals from individuals and collectives based in Hong Kong. There is no age limit or educational requirement to apply, but the applicants should demonstrate evidence of a regular practice and a willingness to participate in different conversations throughout the project period to develop their project and present them to different audiences.
We accept works that discuss image making possibilities, whether in the form of still or moving images, sounds, words, site-specific or transportable installations, or performances. Image makers will be selected based on their proposal and understanding of the project’s core ideas. Shortlisted image makers will be invited for an interview.
What we need from you
- Contact details
- Exhibition proposal demonstrating your ideas, work-in-progress or existing works that could be further developed during the Satellite Exhibitions project period. Please indicate if your work(s) were exhibited or have received any awards.
- Proven track record of a regular practice
- Recommendation letter and contact details of your referee (if applicable)
- We welcome individuals and collectives; image makers of any age group with any level of experience; primarily residing in Hong Kong.
- There is no limit on the total number of successful submissions.
- Those who have applied in previous years are also eligible to apply.
|24 February – 1 April 2022
|May – August 2022
|Exhibition production period
|September – October 2022
|Mid October – November 2022 *exhibition dates and duration may vary between exhibition venues
*Refer to announcements on HKIPF website and social media for latest updates
Terms of Participation
HKIPF is dedicated to providing a respectful, safe, supportive and harassment-free environment for all event attendees and participants, regardless of age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or religion (or lack thereof). We want all participants to have an enjoyable and fulfilling experience, and for the exhibitions to be installed and dismantled safely without damaging the venues.
To ensure a safe and accepting environment for people to engage with photography and exchanges, we ask all participants to adhere to the following Code of Conduct. HKIPF reserves the right to exclude participants from the project and related events for any violation of the following rules.
- Please respect our advisors, participants and the HKIPF team by conducting yourself in a professional manner; please show up at meetings and workshops on time. Any unprofessional conduct will result in consequences and in severe cases disqualification.
- We believe in the originality of all works submitted and produced by every participant; in case of disputes over copyright infringement or claims for damages by a third party, the participant is solely responsible for resolving the dispute.
- Once any exhibition venue is confirmed, participants are required to liaise with the venue provider on all arrangements for the exhibition; assistance with coordination can be provided by the HKIPF team.
- Participants must fully respect and understand the conditions of use of their allocated exhibition venues. They are required to set up and dismantle the exhibition on the principle that the venue can be returned to its former state.
- Throughout the project, HKIPF may select texts and images provided by the participants for promotional and publicity use. Submitted writings may be edited by HKIPF for promotional purposes; all publicity material, print and digital, may be edited by HKIPF.
There is no submission fee. Please get in touch with us at email@example.com or +852 2777 0955 if you have any questions.
Submission deadline: 1 April 2022